1 cup Yogurt / ಮೊಸರು
1 cup Vegetables / ತರಕಾರಿ
few sprigs Coriander leaves / ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು
few Curry leaves / ಕರಿಬೇವು ಸೊಪ್ಪು
1 fist full Grated Coconut /ಕಾಯಿ ತುರಿ / ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ(optional)
small piece ginger / ಶುಂಠಿ (grated)
1/2 tsp - salt / ಉಪ್ಪು to taste
Seasoning / ಒಗ್ಗರಣೆ
I tbsp Oil / ಎಣ್ಣೆ, 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ಸಾಸಿವೆ, pinch of Asafoetida/ Hing / ಇಂಗು,3-4 chopped green chillies / ಹಸಿರುಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ
Cut/Chop the vegetables to small pieces. Transfer them to the bowl. Add the cilantro, curry leaves, grated ginger, salt. Then beat the yogurt and add it to the vegetables. You can make the raita thin by adding water or milk. Adjust the consistency as per your liking. Then make the seasoning with little oil, mustard seeds, hing and green chillies, add it to the yogurt mixture, give it a good mix. Raita is ready to be served.
Here are some of the raitas using raw vegetables: Tomato,onion & cucumber raita(either used alone or in some combination) is the most common and popular raita.
- Tomato raita
- Cucumber Raita (Chop/grate)
- Radish Raita (Chop/grate)
- Tomato & Onion Raita
- Tomato+ Onion + Cucumber Raita
- Banana Stem Raita (baaLe dindu raita)
Here are some of the raitas using Cooked vegetables:
Chop/Cut the vegetables,stir fry in little oil till done, then add to yogurt. Rest same as above.
- Tomato Raita
- Okra/Bendekayi Raita
- Spinach Raita (Soppu raita)
- Raw Banana Raita (baaLekayi)
- Beetroot Raita (beware this raita will be a red one :)
- Potato Raitha (Boil potatoes in water, peel and chop them to bite sized pieces, add to yogurt)
1. Instead of adding seasoning, you can pinch of hing, some cumin powder, pinch of red chilli powder, chat masala powder to the yogurt. This gives a different flavour.
2.Thiruvida Mosaru gojju - One more version where you grind some ingredients making the raita thicker in consistency.
Above ingredients + these below
1/4 cup - Split roasted gram/ Dalia/ kadale /putani / ಹುರಿಗಡಲೆ
1 tbsp - Cumin seeds / Jeera / ಜೀರಿಗೆ
In a small pan dry roast the Dalia and cumin seeds. Take green chillies, small piece of ginger, roasted gram, grated coconut, cumin seeds in a blender. Grind it in
One last tip from me, add some milk or cream to raita(cream is best), this prevents it from turning sour. it tastes sweet for a long time. this is especially useful if you taking it for lunch or on a trip where u don't have a fridge.